Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Palmer Museum Visitation


This had been my first visit to an art museum.  In the end, I must say I was rather impressed.  While taking a stroll throughout the museum there was one piece of art that really stood out to me.  One that I could relate to in nearly every aspect of my life. Working Horse, Hauling by Kate Javens.  It is an oil painting on canvas that was painted in 1994.  It was by far, on the the newer works of art in the museum. 

As I finished walking up the stairs to the second floor, this work of art stopped me in my tracks like I was just struck by a tractor-trailer on the highway.  It's size was quite over-powering and made me feel attached to it immediately.  It was created in 1994, so I wouldn't say that it has any historical relationship with the time period.  But I would say that it can relate to the time period socially.  The 90's was a decade based on a strong working class.  This working horse is shown through the art that it is working hard and hauling something heavy up a hill.  It is digging deep and struggling, but it is still moving forward towards its goal.

The piece did work my emotions a bit.  I related to it because like many people, I have been through some very tough experiences in life.  Just like the horse, we all have to dig deep and keep fighting for what we believe in to achieve goals and victories throughout our lives.  It also shows me that we should never give up.  That anything can be accomplished through persistence, hard work and dedication.

Kate Javens is an American visual artist and was a graduate of Penn State.  She is from Harlem in New York City.  Her animal paintings have the same moral values of the people that have inspired her in her life.  So not only does she feel that she can relate to her own art personally, but so can the individuals that inspired her.  Her artwork can be found across the Country in Philadelphia, State College, New York City, Iowa, Connecticut and many other cities.

This work is very inspirational to its viewers.  It not only motivates you to work hard and fight through the pain, but also to never give up on your dreams.  That point was instantly persuasive in my mind, as soon as I laid eyes on it at the top of the stairwell.

All in all, it was an extraordinary experience visiting the Palmer Museum.  It was a peaceful and humbling experience.  I would absolutely return to the Palmer in the future, which says a lot figuring I am not your typical museum-goer!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    I really liked the analysis you wrote about Working Horse, Hauling. I know such a descriptive bit of feedback… When I first passed this piece I was stopped in place too for a moment, but my thoughts were a bit more basic, “Oh cool, a horse.” I’m not sure what it was, but I didn’t think anything of the piece beyond that then. Your interpretation and research on Kate Javens, although brief, is pretty insightful. I didn’t think of this laboring determination at first. With a horse, I almost can see this sort of blind determination (given it is strapped to something , a field plow maybe?). I also think it’s interesting how the face of the horse is shadowed. That’s interesting seeing the darkest hoof, below the horse and light, is still lighter than the face. What do you think Javens might have meant to “say” by darkening the horse’s face, if you don’t mind my asking? (I’m not looking for some huge researched interpretation, but you’re more familiar with the work. I’m wondering if there is anything you came across that might give hint to Javens’ purpose with this). In all, solid analysis otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this painting from the Palmer because it was so hard to forget. I liked the way you analyzed the meaning behind the painting in that it could be a commentary on the decade it was created in. I also liked the way you related to it and how others could relate to it.

    ReplyDelete