Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

The Arboretum at Penn State


It was a cool and crisp morning in State College.  As we stood outside overlooking the Arboretum, I couldn't help but to enjoy both the view and the fresh air.  This was my first time here, so it was a very rejuvenating experience.  There aren't many places like this on campus.  So it was nice to enjoy the scenery of something other than another rustic, brick building.

It's always nice to remove yourself from the "hustle and bustle", to a peaceful and serene state of mind.  Surrounding myself in a natural haven, is something that I have always enjoyed.  I enjoy nature, because it's something that has been here much longer than myself.  So it's a nice escape from reality, to be able to reflect on the ever-so-hectic college experience.  This escape is like a weekend visit to the Grandparents.  A relaxing, emotionally warm situation full of answers to more questions then imaginable.  Nothing compares.

I can definitely imagine coming back here in the future.  I plan to bring my mother here so she can enjoy it as well.  Her favorite flower is the sunflower.  There was a beautiful sunflower garden on the west side of the Arboretum.  One that a flower-loving mother could truly appreciate!

The main gardens with assorted flowers, plants and well-manicured shrubs, were definitely pleasing to the eyes. To me it represented an organized and well structured lifestyle.  Something that I can appreciate.  There is obviously a number of dedicated landscaping professionals that oversee the endless maintenance and upkeep.  Everything was meticulously cared for, to every last detail.

Upon entering the lily pond area, I stopped to once again enjoy the view.  The majority of the pond was covered with greenery and lily pads.  It was yet another quiet and serene landmark at the Arboretum.  Since this was the last part of the visit, I grabbed a nearby seat to freeze-frame the experience.  This way I could reflect on the days of my childhood.  This experience directly related to those days because while I was inside these gardens, I didn't have a care in the world.  As a child, it was a simple and stress-free lifestyle. Something that I miss at times now that I am a young man.

I challenge you to take ten minutes, an hour, whatever you can sacrifice, and go to the Arboretum at Penn State.  Remove yourself from your life and take the most peaceful walk imaginable.  Reflect on things and regain that spark that is needed to be successful.  My promise to you, is that you will not regret it.  After all, we all need a humbling experience from time to time.

3 comments:

  1. Matt,

    I really love the tone you take, especially in the final paragraph. Confident and assured and really persuasive. Hope your mom enjoys her visit!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! It was an intriguing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your final paragraph, it holds a, sincerity, that I think really adds to your post.

    ReplyDelete